Uttarakhand is located at the foothills of the Himalayan mountain ranges ranges, it is largely a hilly State, having international boundaries with China (Tibet) in the north and Nepal in the east. The State, formerly named Uttaranchal, was formed in November 2000 by carving out the 13 hill-districts of Uttar Pradesh, and is thus a natural eco and adventure tourist destination.
Other than spiritual tourism (the State is home to sacred places like Haridwar and the Char-Dhams in the country), eco tourism and adventure tourism are the main stays of tourism in the State.
Tourism and wellness attractions in the state include:
– Facilities for spiritual lessons, reiki and other rejuvenating courses,
– Eco-tourism hotels, spa, resorts, amusement parks and ropeways,
– Wild Life (various Sanctuaries and National Parks),
– Winter sports at locations such as Auly,
– Adventure tourism such as high-altitude trekking, rock climbing, paragliding etc, and
·Water sports as kayaking and river rafting.